Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Ladies. *WARNING* Strength training will have a dramatic effect on your body shape!






At mi-gym.com (CrossFit Chelmsford) we are all fanatical about getting EVERYONE fit for purpose; we are on a mission to get people moving....

Ok, so lets get this straight. Ladies, to get the results that you are looking for perhaps, a toned body, weight loss, reduced body fat, a good physique - well then you have to lift some weights. FACT!


Theses are 2 pictures taken over a 6 month period

 
 
I thought I was in shape in the first picture on the left; I actuall felt pretty good. Then I mixed up my workouts and started to play with my nutrition (thats another Blog though)!
 
Lifting weights will boost your metabolism, leading to increased calorie consumption even while you are sitting still & doing NOTHING! 

Here are some great words written by our very own Sorcha Boardman on the topic.....











Why do you want to lift those manly weights?

This is a question I am often asked, my reply; why wouldn’t I?! Let me explain;


1. As a woman my main focus of any work-out is me getting closer to that perfect bikini bod we as females crave (insert Jessica Alba), lifting heavy weights burns more calories and fat than cardio. I’ve finally stopped being a slave to the timers and calorie counters on cardio equipment and started to bask in the knowledge that every weightlifting session elevates my metabolic rate for up to 39 hours after I have finished working out. That means even when I am snuggled on the sofa or stuck at a computer at work; the muscles I’ve just worked are still burning calories, what’s not to love about that! I have also found those “target areas” we focus on (jiggly belly, wobbly upper arms, muffin tops over our jeans) melt away with lifting, I have found a waist that I thought my body had forgotten since my teens despite countless hours spent at the gym.


2. As a chiropractor I know what I do now for my body affects how my body will treat me in later life. We all are aware of those nasty words, lower back pain, osteoporosis, sciatica, etc. Lifting weights not only makes us stronger and more able for our day to day lives but also reduces the chance of injury if participating in sports or just partaking in regular exercise. We have all been there, normally after New Year’s or getting another year older, with the “new me” exercise regime, which goes so well until we face an injury which ultimately stops our motivation right in its tracks. Strengthening your body with a proper lifting technique and weight programme conditions the muscles and joints so you do not have to fear this hurdle! Furthermore, recent studies by Ethel Siris MD, director of the Toni Stabile Center for Osteoporosis at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in New York City proves that lifting heavy weights not only strengthens muscles but also counter-acts age related bone loss; putting those joints under a little stress causes the hormones that build bone into “drive” mode, making your bones and joints denser and stronger, take that osteoporosis!!


3. Finally, there is a saying, “We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.” Growing up as the only grand-daughter in a family with 19 cousins - playing was all to do with who could climb the highest, hang from the monkey bars the longest or throw a stone the furthest. Doing weights and cross-fit has brought that competitive side so close to my heart back to the surface. The ego boost after completing one of the “girls” or lifting one third of my body weight over my head is empowering. Not to mention the stress relieving action of visualising a wall ball to be anyone’s face who may have annoyed me in the hours previous to a workout...just before I slam it into the ground. Ahhhhhhhhhh.
After just 4 weeks of weight training at mi-gym.com I am hooked. I am thrilled at the results I have seen so far and am motivated to continue to improve. I used to count down the minutes until the end of my regular sessions now I really do wonder where time goes!


My advice to anyone who asks why start, is simple, why haven’t you started already! Trust me when you push your body you are stronger than you think! Now ladies go and show that iron who is boss!











LJ In the Olympic Lift sessions
CrossFit Session above; these involve constantly varied functional movements. These sessions are for EVERYONE; Everyone completes the same workout at their own level.

Have a look at this link to see some of the things that we get up to at www.mi-gym.com https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.514479438615596.1073741830.473033339426873&type=1&l=fbd1da92f1

For more about mi-gym.com (CrossFit Chelmsford)
http://www.mi-gym.com/index.html

For more about Rachel Young visit:















No comments:

Post a Comment